Thanks to the advances in artificial intelligence and electric battery technology, we now have devices that can do many of our daily tasks for us. One perfect example is the robot lawn mower.
As the name suggests, these machines cut your grass on their own, which means you don’t have to.
That’s right! No more wasting your Saturday mornings or precious free weekday afternoons cutting the grass. Instead, you can buy a robot lawn mower, set it up, and then never deal with the lawn again.
However, for you to have a good experience, it’s important you purchase the right model for you. Each manufacturer has a different set of mowers, at different price points, which means you need to do your homework.
For example, WORX, which makes the Landroid robot mower, has three different models, all of which have their own cost. To prevent you from spending more money than you need to, and to make sure you’re as happy with your robot lawn mower as you can be, here’s a complete review of the different WORX Landroid Models, as well as a price analysis.
The WORX Landroid Features
Although there are several different WORX Landroid models to choose from, they all share the same set of core features. The only real differences between each one (which will discuss in more detail later) is the cutting area, battery size, and price.
But no matter which model you choose, here’s what you’ll be getting:
Benefits of the WORX Landroid
The wide range of features available on the WORX Landroid make it a highly desirable mower. But many of these can be found on other models. Here’s what sets the WORX Landroid apart from the competition:
Drawbacks of the WORX Landroid
Although there is a lot to like about the WORX Landroid robotic lawn mower, there are some things we wished were different, mainly:
If the WORX family doesn’t sound right for your home at this point, you may want to compare more of the best robot mowers. Look to Husqvarna models for great slope capabilities, or the Gardena brand for budget-friendly options.
Different WORX Landroid Models
As you can see, the WORX Landroid is a solid choice when it comes to robot lawn mowers. And what’s even nicer about this line is that there are several different models to choose from.
However, when you go to search for the price of a WORX Landroid robot mower, you will see there are several different models, and this can get confusing. The numbers in models names change yearly, it’s the letters that really communicate the models’ differences.
To make things clearer, know that there are only really three models:
- WORX Landroid S – The “S” stands for “small” because this mower has a 2.0 A battery and can cut up to ⅛ acre at a time.
- WORX Landroid M -The M model is slightly larger; it features a 4.0 A battery and can cut up to ¼ acre.
- WORX Landroid L – The last model, the L, has a 6.0 A battery and cuts ½ acre at a time.
WORX Landroid Cost Comparison
As you might expect, each model has a different price. And, within each model, there are a few variations. In general, WORX models fall into the middle range of typical robotic mower prices. Here’s a cost comparison of the different WORX Landroid models
WORX Landroid S
The WORX Landroid S, which cuts up to ⅛ acre at a time, and is sometimes referred to as the WORX Landroid S 165, usually retails for around $950, though you can often find a deal. Check the latest price here.
WORX Landroid M
If you want a mower that can cut up to ¼ acre at a time, then the WORX Landroid M series is going to be for you. Within this line, there are two options. The WR143 and the WR147.
The WR143 is a newer model that usually retails for $1,199. The older model, the WR 147, usually goes for around $1,000. But you can check the latest prices here.
Read our review for the Landroid M to get more details on this robot.
WORX Landroid L
For those with larger lawns who want to be able to cut up to ½ acre at a time, the WORX Landroid L is going to be for you. Again, there are two models: the WR153 and WR 155. The WR 155 is the older model, which typically costs around $1,100, and the newer model, the WR153, retails for around $1,400. Check prices for both here.
How to Reduce the Price of a WORX Landroid
If the price tag of a WORX Landroid robot mower gives you a little sticker shock, keep in mind that this is likely to be the last mower you ever buy. These things are durable and require very little maintenance.
Over your lifetime, you will end up spending less on this than you would on a traditional mower.
But if you want to save some money, here are some tips:
- Buy off-season — Most people are looking to buy lawn mowers in the spring and summer. Typically, what happens is that the snow melts and the grass starts to grow, and they realize their mower doesn’t work. So, to save some money, look in the fall and winter. You might be able to find some deals.
- Buy an older model — The latest model of a robot lawn mower is always going to cost the most. If you want to try and get one for less, look for last year’s or the year before’s options. It won’t have all the latest features, but it still may have what you need. Also, keep an eye out for when the new model comes out. Most places will cut the price of last year’s to try and clear inventory, and you can score some great deals.
- Use a layaway plan — Although they pay for themselves over time, robot lawn mowers, even more affordable options like the WORX Landroid, have pretty big up front price tags. To help you defray some of this cost, consider paying for it in monthly installments. If you do this, make sure to look for deals with zero or no interest so that you don’t wind up paying more overall.
- Do the installation yourself – One of the reasons robot lawn mowers are so expensive is that they need to be installed by a professional. But if you’re on a really tight budget, then consider doing it yourself. It’s a pain, so make sure to do lots of research. There are quite a few YouTube videos out there to help you. Take your time and then enjoy your savings.
Don’t Fret the Cost of a WORX Landroid
Although sticker shock is normal, the reality is that you will spend less overall if you buy a robot lawn mower as you would with a traditional mower.
The only difference is the upfront cost. But given the reliability, convenience, and functionality of the WORX Landroid series, we think it’s well worth it.
However, don’t just take our word for it, go out and get one, and then you can kiss having to mow the lawn goodbye.